Town Hall Update
Lease signed at last
Wiveliscombe Town Hall
The Wiveliscombe Town Hall Trust (WTHT), a registered charity, has finally completed the process of signing a lease with the Co-op to take on and manage the Town Hall to make use of this as an asset for the town in the future. The lease requires funding to be obtained to allow the repair and refurbishment of the fabric and decorations of the building.
The journey to this stage has been somewhat tortuous and time consuming but the Co-op has been generally supportive. The local representatives have also given advice as how to proceed to a satisfactory conclusion.
Next steps for the Trust will be to identify exactly what needs to be done, to raise the necessary funds and to implement the plans. Wiveliscombe Area Partnership will be working with WTHT and providing initial funds for the project.
Trust Vice Chairman Dave Lusk said, “The Trustees are delighted to have signed the lease after so many years of discussion. Now the work begins! ”.
Wiveliscombe Town Hall, known during the 19th century as The Assembly Rooms, was home to the Magistrates Court and was the focus for social and public life with regular cinema shows until well into the 1950’s. It has been owned by the Co-op since just after the First World War but was closed to public use in 1958 since when it has been empty.
Note: From the North Devon Journal, 2 June 1864
WIVELISCOMBE. The Band. —Through the exertions of Mr. Peagam, solicitor, subscriptions have been collected and a supply of modern instruments procured for a town band. It is intended that a uniform hat with a scarlet band shall be worn by each member of the band when on duty. The band is under the direction of Mr. S. Richards and diligently attending to practice. When proficient they will discourse sweet sounds from the balcony of the Town Hall, for the gratification of the inhabitants.
For more information, please follow the link to the Town Hall website: